The sheer simplicity of these Grilled Mesquite Chicken Sliders, topped with Carrot Slaw will tempt the pickiest of eaters…even the kiddies that turn the other way at the sight of vegetables. The juicy, succulent flavors of the mesquite chicken sitting on top of melted Monterey Jack cheese and topped with sweet BBQ sauce and carrot slaw is a tasty combination for any time of the year.
Serve with some seasoned home-cooked potatoes, chicken noodle soup and pair it with either a bottle of Blue Moon beer or a crisp Pinot Gris.
- For more body in the Carrot Slaw, substitute non-fat yogurt for regular/low-fat Greek Yogurt.
- Pepper-Jack cheese would also be a tasty alternative to Monterey Jack cheese.
- You can substitute dinner rolls for the slider rolls.
- These flavorful grilled chicken mesquite sliders can just as easily be made into full-sized sandwiches.
- The carrot slaw is an adaption from a recipe found on Martha Stewart. Adding lemon and using Nakano® Seasoned Rice Vinegar with Red Pepper made for some tasty modifications to the original recipe.
- You will have plenty of leftover Carrot Slaw, so plan accordingly for more sliders or another evenings meal of slaw.
Makes 8 Sliders
8 slider buns or dinner rolls
8 slices Monterey Jack Cheese, 1/4 inch-thick
2 prepared Chicken Breasts (recipe follows)
Carrot Slaw (recipe follows)
Preheat oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with foil. Place 8 slider buns on prepared baking sheet so that the heels (bottom) and crowns (tops) are face up. Place a slice of cheese on each heel (cheese should be sized to fit the heel dimension). Place in oven UNTIL the buns start to brown around the edges and cheese melts. Remove immediately.
Cut chicken up in eight equal pieces to fit the size of the slider buns. Place a chicken piece on each cheesy-heel. Drizzle BBQ sauce on top of chicken and scoop a tablespoon or so of carrot slaw on top. Place crown on the slider. Repeat for remaining 7 sliders. Serve immediately!
2 Chicken breasts
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Sweet Mesquite rub
Preheat grill to 600 degrees or use a heavy grill pan warmed to high. Place chicken breasts in an airtight bag, squeeze the air out of the bag and seal. With a meat mallet or heavy skillet, pound chicken to 1/2-inch thick. Remove chicken from bag and coat with olive oil and rub sweet mesquite rub on both sides. Cook each side of chicken for 2 minutes each side. Remove from grill/pan and cover with foil. Let sit for 15 minutes (it will continue to cook in it’s own juices).
source modified from Martha Stewart’s
4 large carrots, peeled and grated
1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons Nakano® Seasoned Rice Vinegar with Red Pepper
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
Salt and Pepper, to taste
5 cups white cabbage, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
1/2 lemon (optional)
In a large bowl, combine yogurt, vinegar, mustard, sugar and onion; season to taste with salt and pepper. Add grated carrots, cabbage and dill to bowl and incorporate the yogurt mixture well. Squeeze lemon on slaw and combine. Return to refrigerator an chill before serving.