A Citrus-EVOO Spring Salad Mix w/Kale Sprouts, Ojai Pixies® & Sugared Pistachios – A tasty, pretty salad that packs a punch of nutrients featuring kale sprouts with an ever-so-light dressing using juice from a sweet tangerine and some good ol’ extra-virgin olive oil.
The goodness and delicateness of this salad doesn’t just stop with the light flavors and complimentary use of juice from a tangerine and tossed mixed greens, kale sprouts and EVOO, there’s also tangerine segments, along with some sugared pistachios and tangy goat cheese!
If you don’t have time to make the sugared pistachios (recipe to follow in a separate post), some toasted walnuts would work well in this salad too. The slight bite of the kale sprouts along with the juicy sweet tangerine is balanced by goat cheese.
I’d be embarrassed to call this a recipe as it’s more of a suggestions of flavors brought together to make a light, but completely satisfying side or main dish.
In several prior posts, I shared about a relatively newer vegetable that’s appearing in markets, the kale sprouts. This salad is another example of its versatility in preparing it in meals. I’ve rinsed under cool water to refresh the sprouts, halved them down the middle from top to bottom, and served them raw in the salad.
Pairing with the kale sprouts in this spring salad mix, I’ve added the sweet, citrus freshness of Ojai Pixie® tangerines that are in season through May.
I’m listing out the ingredients used to make this simple, tasty and pretty salad. Quantity and serving size will depend on how many servings needed, but as mentioned – its a suggestion or inspiration of ingredients. I’ll be sharing the quick how to for the sugared pistachios in a separate post.
Serve and enjoy this elegant salad with a glass of pinot gris or a sauvignon blanc!
- Ingredient Spotlight: Kale Sprouts – It’s Kale + Brussels Sprouts in one!
- Roasted Parmesan Kale Sprouts
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet tangerine, zested and juiced
- 5.5 ounces Kale Sprouts, rinsed and cut in half from top to bottom
- Mixed salad greens
- 2 sweet tangerines, peeled and segmented
- sugared pistachios or toasted walnut halves
- goat cheese, crumbled
- freshly ground pepper (optional and to taste)
- Measure out the amount of salad mix needed in a large bowl with the kale sprouts
- Zest the tangerine, cut it in half and squeeze the juice into the salad.
- Add extra-virgin olive oil and gently toss to coat the greens and kale sprouts and to combine with zest/juice.
- Plate the greens on serving plates and arrange segmented pieces of tangerine, nuts, and goat cheese on the salad.
- Add pepper to taste and serve immediately. © Images & content: Cristina A-Moore for TeenieCakes.com.
- Before juicing the tangerine that will be squeezed over the mixed greens, zest it over the salad for extra freshness of flavor.
- Like goat cheese? Add a real generous amount on the salad for that extra tang.
- In need of a salty element or some “meat” to appease the meat eaters…crumble some bits of freshly cooked bacon on the salad.